The Atlanta Department of Transportation has completed the response and recovery efforts associated with the fire on August 4, 2021, which severely compromised the efficacy of Cheshire Bridge over South Fork Peachtree Creek. Below is a summary of rebuild activities for August 23-27, 2021 that have been completed, are in progress, and planned for implementation.
Overview of activities COMPLETED:
- AUGUST 23 – Evaluated bids received for bridge demolition; Office of Procurement has confirmed C.W. Matthews Contracting Co., Inc., as best responsive bidder. Contract negotiations have been initiated.
- AUGUST 23-27 – Finalized relocation sequencing for maximum safety, expediency, and efficiency.
- AUGUST 27 – Completed final draft of emergency design/build RFP for GDOT review.
Overview of activities IN PROGRESS:
- Completing final contract revisions in preparation for signatures and execution by August 30 or August 31.
- Implementing utility relocation sequencing, with about 70-80% of pre-demolition relocation complete. Site meeting to discuss progress and challenges scheduled for Thursday, September 2.
- Confirming construction access points and placement of cranes and other large equipment.
- Securing title reports for all adjacent properties for rebuild project files.
- Evaluating and counterprogramming against risks to timely demo, design and rebuild.
Overview of activities PLANNED:
- Arrange for GDOT bridge team review of draft Emergency Design/Build RFP.
- Execute contract and issue NTP (Notice to Proceed) to selected contractor (C.W. Matthews).
- Confirm preliminary schedule for demo.
- Finalize and issue Emergency Design/Build RFP.