Southbound Armour Traffic Gains Lane to Westbound Monroe Dr. Next Week as Roundabout Work Continues
ATLANTA – Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) contractors will switch the existing traffic patterns at the intersection of Monroe Drive and Armour Drive next week as construction of the Monroe-Armour Roundabout continues at the intersection in the City of Atlanta, Fulton County. When the project is complete, the single lane roundabout will enhance driver and pedestrian safety and improve mobility through this busy intersection.
Weather and on-site conditions permitting, construction will move to Stage 2, with these traffic shifts in place between Monday, November 8 and Friday, November 12:
Stage 2 construction plans are estimated to take place from now until early winter 2022, including widening the Monroe section of the project, implementing the new lane shift with the temporary traffic signal adjusted to maximize travel through the area and beginning to install lighting at the intersection.
- Two lanes of traffic will be able to travel southbound on Armour Drive from under the SR 13/Buford Connector bridge to the Monroe Drive intersection for access to westbound (right turn) access onto Monroe. This additional space was created by widening Armour Drive in Stage 1. This week, crews are scheduled to restripe Armour for the two travel lanes.
- Monroe Drive traffic lanes will be shifted north so that crews can begin widening the southern lane. Once the traffic shift is achieved, flaggers will be on-site to help direct drivers through the area.
These closures are needed to provide safety for drivers and workers. Drivers should expect traffic delays related to this construction next week and are advised to alter their travel routes and/or allow additional time for travel to/from destinations near the project area.
To minimize delays in the area, several measures have already been implemented, including:
Once complete, features of the new Monroe-Armour Roundabout will reduce delays and improve travel through the intersection, including:
- Timing of traffic signals at the intersections of Armor Drive at Monroe Drive and at the SR 13/ Buford Spring Connector ramp have been adjusted to maximize traffic flow.
- Traffic control measures including temporary barriers, flaggers, on-site message boards and signage alert approaching drivers to choose alternate travel routes and/or allow additional travel time through the area.
- “Don’t Block the Box” signage has been installed at Armour Drive at SR 13/ Buford Spring Connector to prevent vehicles from blocking the intersection.
- Work hours are limited to daytime (9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.) during the week and overnights (8:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m.) Friday through Monday morning to avoid traffic impacts during peak travel times.
The $1.6 million project is scheduled for completion in April 2022, weather and on-site conditions permitting.
- On Armour Drive southbound, a new right turn lane and left turn lane;
- On Monroe Drive westbound, a shared right turn and through lane;
- On Monroe Drive eastbound, a shared left turn and through lane; and
- The existing right-turn only lane on the SR 13 exit ramp to the intersection will be converted to a shared left and right turn lane.
- In addition, sidewalks, curb and gutter and a bus stop will be constructed.
Message boards and signage will advise drivers to slow their speed through the area. Motorists are advised to expect some traffic delays, exercise caution, and reduce their speed while traveling through work zones. Before heading out, get real-time information on work status and traffic conditions. Call 511, visit 511ga.org, or download the Georgia 511 app.